Get ready for an unforgettable summer in London with Kids Week, a magical event that brings theatre to life for children of all ages. Wondering how to snag the best tickets and choose the perfect show for your little ones? Look no further. In this guide, we’ll share insider tips on securing tickets and recommend top shows tailored to different age groups. From curious toddlers to discerning teenagers, we’ve got you covered. Let’s dive into the dazzling world of Kids Week and create lasting memories for the whole family.
What is Kids Week?
Kids Week is an annual event that runs every August in London, where kids 17 and under can go to see a show for free when accompanied by a full-paying adult. Plus, you can get up to two extra kids’ tickets at half-price per transaction. That means you can save a lot of money and enjoy some of the best shows in town with your family. But hurry, tickets sell out fast!
When do Kids Week tickets go on sale?
Tickets go on sale at 10 am on Tuesday 13 June 2023.
Important: Due to the popularity of Kids Week, tickets tend to sell out rapidly. Booking promptly is crucial to secure your preferred shows and dates. Get ready to book as soon as the tickets are released on June 13, as the most popular performances may have limited availability soon after ticket release. Act swiftly to avoid disappointment!
How to Take Advantage of Cheap Kids Week Tickets
- Plan Ahead: Kids Week tickets are highly sought after, so it’s essential to plan early. Familiarize yourself with the list of participating shows and discuss preferences with your family before tickets go on sale.
- Ticket Availability: Keep a close eye on the official Kids Week website for updates on ticket releases, show availability, and booking instructions. Our advice: Be ready to book your favourite show when the tickets are released on June 13 at 10:00 AM.
- Booking Strategy: Be flexible with your show preferences and consider multiple options. Some shows may have limited availability, while others may sell out quickly. By having alternative choices, you increase your chances of securing tickets to a performance your family will enjoy.
- Midweek Advantage: If possible, consider attending shows on weekdays rather than weekends. Weekday performances often have greater availability and may provide more options for booking.
- Participate in Activities: Participating shows also offer free activities on specific dates and times. These activities range from dance workshops to engaging Q&A sessions where families can interact with the cast and creative team and gain insights into backstage secrets. Just make sure to book tickets for Kids Week on the date of the specific activity.
Recommended Shows for Kids Week
Kids Week boasts an extensive lineup of shows catering to various interests, from musicals to plays, comedies to dramas. With a wide range of options available, every family member can find something they’ll love, creating a truly inclusive and enjoyable experience for all.
But with so many shows to choose from, how do you decide which one to see? Well, don’t worry, because I’m here to help you with that. I’ve done some research and compiled a list of the most popular shows for Kids Week in 2023, divided into three categories: under 5s, ages 5-12 and teens. So whether you have a toddler, a tween or a teenager, there’s something for everyone on this list. Let’s get started! 🙌
Kids Week for Under 5s
If you have little ones who are new to theatre, you might want to look for shows that are short, colourful and interactive. Here are some of the best options for under 5s:
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff: A delightful and enchanting theatre show that brings to life the beloved Norwegian fairy tale with a captivating twist. Set against a vibrant backdrop, the story follows three brave and mischievous goat siblings named Gruff as they embark on a thrilling adventure to reach the lush meadow on the other side of the treacherous troll bridge.
- The Smeds and the Smoos: An enchanting and heartwarming theatre show based on the beloved children’s book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. Set in a faraway galaxy, this captivating production tells the story of two alien families, the Smeds and the Smoos, who are seemingly different but share a bond that transcends appearances.
- The Tiger Who Came To Tea: Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2023, this classic story by Judith Kerr comes to life on stage with stunning costumes, original songs and a giant tiger who loves tea and cake. Follow Sophie and her mummy as they welcome an unexpected guest who causes chaos in their kitchen. A purr-fect treat for the whole family.
Kids Week for Ages 5-12
If you have kids who are ready for more adventure, drama and humour, you might want to check out these shows that are suitable for ages 5-12:
- Disney’s Frozen: The smash-hit musical based on the animated film is a must-see for any Frozen fan. Follow the journey of sisters Elsa and Anna as they discover the power of love and friendship in a frozen kingdom. With stunning sets, costumes and special effects, and featuring songs like Let It Go and Do You Want To Build A Snowman?, this show will melt your heart.
- Grease The Musical: The ultimate feel-good musical is back with a bang in 2023. Join Danny, Sandy and the rest of the T-Birds and Pink Ladies as they sing and dance their way through their final year at Rydell High. Featuring classic hits like Summer Nights, You’re The One That I Want and Greased Lightnin’, this show will have you rocking and rolling in your seat.
- Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain Part Five!: The hilarious history show returns with a new instalment that explores the most barmy moments of British history. From King Henry VIII to Queen Victoria, from Guy Fawkes to Winston Churchill, and from the Vikings to the Victorians, this show will make you laugh and learn at the same time.
Kids Week for Teens
If you have teens who are looking for more mature themes, edgy humour and thrilling action, you might want to consider these shows that are suitable for ages 13 and up:
- Heathers The Musical: Based on the cult film starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater, this dark comedy musical follows Veronica Sawyer as she joins the most popular clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But when she falls for the mysterious new boy JD, she soon finds herself in a deadly game of love, power and revenge. With catchy tunes, witty dialogue and a wicked sense of humour, this show is a blast.
- Back To The Future The Musical: Based on the iconic film trilogy starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, this musical adaptation follows Marty McFly as he travels back in time to 1955 with the help of Doc Brown and his DeLorean. There he meets his young parents and has to make sure they fall in love, or else he might cease to exist. With a score that includes songs from the film as well as new ones, and features spectacular special effects and stunts, this show is a thrilling ride.
- The Lion King: The award-winning musical based on the Disney film is a spectacle of epic proportions. Follow the journey of Simba, the young lion cub who must reclaim his rightful place as king of the Pride Lands. With stunning puppetry, costumes and choreography, and featuring songs like Circle Of Life, Hakuna Matata and Can You Feel The Love Tonight?, this show is a feast for the eyes and ears.
Activities during Kids Week
Every year during Kids Week, participating shows offer various activities for attendees. These activities range from dance workshops, where you can learn choreography from iconic numbers to engaging Q&A sessions where families can interact with the cast and creative team and gain insights into backstage secrets. To attend these activities, you must have booked tickets for Kids Week on the date of the specific activity.
For activities with limited capacity, bookers will receive an email with an Eventbrite link a few days after booking their tickets. Places for these activities will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. If you don’t see your favourite show listed, keep checking back as new activities may be added leading up to Kids Week.
Here are a few examples of activities:
- Back To The Future The Musical – Cosplay Q&A: Dress up as your favourite character and join the cast for a cosplay Q&A session. Open to Kids Week bookers attending the matinee performance.
- Disney’s Frozen – Music & Movement Workshop: Experience a fun-filled music and movement workshop led by Disney theatrical teaching artists. Suitable for 8-12-year-olds, accompanying parents required.
- Grease The Musical – Dance Workshop: Learn dance moves from the cast of Grease The Musical. Suitable for 8-17-year-olds, limited capacity event.
- Heathers The Musical – Q&A: Ask the cast questions and gain insights into the production. Open to Kids Week bookers attending the performance.
- Horrible Histories: Terrible Tudors – Workshop: Participate in a workshop with fun facts, singing, performing, and dancing. Suitable for 8-12-year-olds, must attend the performance.
- RSC’s Matilda The Musical – Music & Acting Workshop: Participate in an on-stage music and acting workshop led by the creative team. Suitable for 8-12-year-olds, limited capacity event.
- Disney’s The Lion King – Workshop: Join Disney theatrical teaching artists for a Lion King workshop. Suitable for 8-12 year olds, parents must stay.
For a full list of activities, check out the Official Kids Week Website.