Take advantage of the many great free things to do with kids in London. London is an expensive city to live in, but with a bit of planning, you’ll be able to enjoy a huge range of activities completely free of charge. From world-class museums to amazing playgrounds and city farms, here are some of the best free attractions in London for families.
London has an impressive range of museums to offer, and the good news is that most of the big ones are completely free! From a roamin dinosaur to a giant walrus, here are our favourite family-friendly free museums in London.
- Science Museum: This is the place to go for kids into pace-rockets, cars and planes!
- Natural History Museum: For families into nature, check out the mammals section and don’t forget about the roaming t.rex!
- Horniman Museum: Check out the extinct dodo and the giant walrus at this child-friendly museum in South East London.
- Victoria & Albert Museum: If you’re into fashion and have a creative child, the V&A is a must visit!
- National Maritime Museum: With several interactive galleries for kids, this free museum in Greenwich is an absolute gem for families.
- Museum of Docklands: We love the free Mudlarks gallery for toddlers at this museum on Isle of Dogs.
- Museum of London: Walk through the galleries and experience the fascinating history of the capital.
- British Museum: If you’re into mummies, this is definitely the right museum for you!
London has a big range of wonderful free playrounds to choose from. Here are some of our favourites:
- Diana Memorial Playground: Let your kids loose climbing up the huge pirate-ship!
- Peckham Rye Playground: You’ll find exciting tree-houses in this South-East London playground.
- Burgess Park Playground: Great wooden climbing structures and a looong zip-line!
- Greenwich Park Playground: Sand and water play area is a favourite among the little ones!
- Holland Park Playground: Challenging modern climbing strucures in natural materials.
- Southwark Park Playground: Enjoy safe and solid playground equipment in Rotherhithe!
- St James Playground: Take a break while in Central London and enjoy St James Park
Free Markets in London
Experience the fabric of London in one of these great markets:
- Borough Market: The number one destination for London’s foodies.
- Spitalfields Market: Lots of exciting independent stores in this covered market.
- Brick Lane Market: Don’t forget to taste the delicious bagels at the Beigel Bake!
- Greenwich Market: Check out the high quality arts and crafts traders in this covered market.
- Camden Market: Perhaps the most colourful market in London, with lot’s of delicious street-food!
- Portobello Road Market: So many curious things to explore in this market.
- Columbia Road Flower Market: Get a feel for the real East London with lots of friendly banter.
- Leadenhall Market: A popular spot for Harry Potter fans in London.
Free Park Life in London
Take a break from the city life and relax in one of the many free parks in London:
- Greenwich Park: Go for a pincic and enjoy some of the best views of London.
- Coram’s Fields: No entry for adults unless arriving with a child!
- Kensington Gardens: One of the most royalisic parks in London!
- Regent’s Park: Don’t miss out on the beautiful Rose Garden.
- Vicky Park: East London’s popular Victoria Park is a great place for families to relax
- Hampstead Heath: You’ll feel like far outside of London in the country when hiking through the woodlands on the Heath
- Battersea Park: Take cycling trip on the circular route through the park.
- Richmond Park: One of the best places to experience animal life in London.
Free City-Farms in London
Do you have a child that loves animals? Check out these charming city-farms:
- Mudchute Farm: You’ll find the biggest community farm in London on the Isle of Dogs.
- Surry Docks City Farm: Experience farm animals with a beautiful view on the Thames Path.
- Hackney Farm: Check out the cool hipster chickens at this iconic East London community farm.
- Spitalfields Farm: Another charming East London city farm.
- Vauxhall City Farm: The original City Farm in London.
- Newham Farm: You’ll find this amazing farm right next to London City Airport
- Stepney Farm: East London again! Don’t forget to feed the goats.
- Crystal Palace Farm: You’ll be able to enjoy the funny meerkats at this free urban farm
- Deen City Farm: Another great farm to enjoy.
Free things in London
There are so many brilliant museums for kids in London to choose from, so which ones should you visit? In this guide, you’ll find an …